Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Assignment 6 - YouTube Video Mixer

The title of my piece is "63" :: Cacophony" (read Sixty-Three Inch Cacophony).  I shot all the videos myself, with a Nikon Coolpix 5570 Point-and-Shoot camera.  I edited the raw video with Final Cut Pro and YouTube's editing software.

For my piece, I wanted to examine the aesthetic possibilities of music, as well as push it to and past the line that divides it from simple noise.  I filmed nine seven-inch records on my turntable; four 45 rpm discs, and five 33 and 1/2 rpm discs.  I played them either faster or slower than the correct speed, and while they are still recognizable as music, the distortion allows them to be considered completely apart from the musicians' original intentions.  By adding and subtracting layers of these semi-abstracted works, one can observe how quickly the mind can reject sound that is only slightly removed from its original form. 

I selected the records from my collection based mostly on color, although I took care to mostly leave out any widely-recognizable artists or songs.


63" :: Cacophony

1 comment:

  1. DJ,
    WOWZERS! Talk about youtube mixing! So many different sounds, I was really intrigued by so many of them! I think your video being recorded on a tripod was a great idea. Color wise, I think the different records being different colors was awesome. It literately makes it like a remix, youtube'mixing artwork piece. You could snap a photo of the work and make it a piece of photography art. I like how you kept the background simple to have more focus on your video's and its' colors. Great work.

    ReplyDelete